This salad combines a bunch of my favourite things – candy striped beets, avocado, pomegranate and rocket. While I love candy striped beets, especially in salads (as they’re not as earthy as the red ones and don’t stain your hands or the salad), you can choose red / yellow beets if you can’t find the candy-striped variety. But if you can, try the candy-striped ones – they’re worth it!
The salad is dressed with a maple mustard dressing – the amount makes just enough for the salad. This salad is a great side dish to a heartier main.
Candy Striped Beet & Pomegranate Salad
- 1 bunch candy striped beets 4-5 beets
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 200 g rocket washed and dried
- 1 pomegranate seeds only
- 1 avocado peeled and sliced
Maple Mustard Dressing
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1/2 tsp maple syrup
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 200C
- Peel the candy striped beets and slice them into thin slices (I used a mandolin slicer, slicing on the thickest setting). Add sliced beets to a bowl along with a tsp of olive oil and toss to coat all slices evenly with olive oil.
- Arrange slices on a baking sheet, taking care not to overlap slices.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, until the beets are cooked through and the edges are just starting to crisp and brown. Remove and set aside.
- Add rocket, avo and pomegranate to a large serving bowl. Add in the beet slices.
- Make the dressing by whisking all dressing ingredients together in a bowl until well combined.
- Serve the salad with the dressing (dressing makes enough just for this salad).
Zissy is the co-founder of Nutreats. She likes to make things, do things and wear things.