The trick to making the perfect salad in a jar comes down to layering. You want to layer it in a way that all the ingredients stay fresh and not soggy.
The dressing always goes on the bottom and next comes chopped vegetables. If you add avocado, like you see in this Biltong Salad in a Jar, layer that first after the dressing. The dressing coats it which prevents the avocado from turning brown. After the vegetable layers add your protein and then lastly add your greens.
This biltong salad in a jar can be altered to suit what you have on hand and how many portions you want to make. The dressing is a simple mustard vinaigrette. For vegetables I used Avocado, Baby tomatoes, baby corn, snap peas and some “alive lettuce” for greens. The protein is biltong but you can easily replace it with tuna, boiled eggs, chicken, salmon, chickpeas or beans.
Leave a little room at the top of the jar, to allow you to shake it properly before eating so the dressing coats the entire salad evenly. You can eat it straight from the jar or just pour it out into a bowl for not a sad desk lunch. This type of salad can also be made in advance as the ingredients are layered so they won’t become soggy.
The ingredients below made 2 salads, or 1 big one.
Biltong Salad in a Jar [Not a Sad Desk Lunch]
- 1 avocado peeled, pitted and chopped
- 10 baby tomatoes halved
- 10 snap peas halved
- 10 baby corns sliced
- 1/2 cup cucumber chopped
- 2 handfulls Biltong
- 1 handfull salad greens
Honey Mustard Vinaigrette
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp dried mixed herbs
- salt and pepper to taste
- Make the dressing by combining all the ingredients into a bowl and whisking until fully combined. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- To make the salad, prep all the ingredients
- To assemble, split the dressing between two jars. Then start layering the avocado, tomatoes, cucumber, corn and peas in each jar. Add biltong to each jar and then top with lettuce. Close the jar, and keep upright and in the fridge until you’re ready to eat.
- When you’re ready to eat, shake the jar to allow the dressing to coat the ingredients and pour out into a bowl.
Zissy is the co-founder of Nutreats. She likes to make things, do things and wear things.