There was a time when hash and eggs were a weekly meal; but it featured frozen hashbrowns and a scrambled egg. This version is a healthier and, if I may add, much tastier version of hash and eggs. It’s made with roasted vegetables, fried eggs and my favorite avocado chimichurri sauce.
I tend to do it as a one pan meal – easier and less to wash, but you can mix it up. You can roast your veggies and then divide them into individual ramekins before cracking an egg in it and baking till set. You can also opt to fry your eggs and serve bowls of roasted veggies topped with a fried egg and chimichurri.
It’s an easy meal, but the different veggies, eggs and dip give it a host of delicious flavour and make it super filling. It’s a great easy dinner or brunch meal.
Butternut & Potato Hash and Eggs with Avocado Chimichurri
- 1 onion finely diced
- 1 butternut peeled and chopped into small cubes
- 1 packet yellow patty pans washed and quartered
- 2 potatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp sat
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 6 eggs
- 2 C fresh parsley
- 1 red chilli sliced and deseeded
- 1/2 avocado flesh scooped out
- 3 garlic cloves peeled
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 200C
- Combine all the ingredients, except the eggs in a large mixing bowl. Mix so that each piece of vegetable is evenly coated i.n oil and spices. Layer them as evenly as possible on a large baking sheet
- Bake for 20-30 minutes, until vegetables are tender and slightly browned at the edges.
- Remove from oven, create 6 wells to drop your egg into, but moving the veggies around to create small circles around the sheet. Crack your eggs one at a time and carefully drop them into a well. You want to be careful not to crack the yolk. Return to the oven and bake for another 10-15 minutes until the eggs are set (it’s most important the whites are set, you can cook for more or less time depending on how runny you want the yolks).
- Alternatively, you can remove the roasted vegetables and serve them in a bowl topped with a pan-fried egg and chimichurri.
- Remove from oven, and divide it into 6 bowls, serving it with a generous dollop of Chimichurri
- To make the chimichurri combine all the ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth
Zissy is the co-founder of Nutreats. She likes to make things, do things and wear things.