Chocolate caramels made with no refined sugars, just dates which are known as nature’s candy. That date caramel is then stuffed inside dark chocolate for chocolate caramel cups! Go for a dark chocolate which perfectly balances the sweetness of the dates.
Sugar Free Chocolate Caramels
A natural date caramel (With no added sugars) is covered in dark chocolate to create these healthier chocolate caramel cups
- 2 fresh medjool dates
- 2 tbsp almond butter
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chopped (90 grams)
You Will also need
- 6 mini cupcake / candy liners
- Place liners on a baking tray / freezer proof plate
- Remove the date pips and soak the dates in warm water. Set aside
- Melt the chocolate either in the microwave or using a double boiler (place boiling water inside a pot, place a metal bowl on top of the pot. It should not touch the water. Place chocolate in the metal bowl and let it sit for 5 minutes until the chocolate is completely melted)
- Using a teaspoon, scoop melted chocolate into the liners, tilt them so that the chocolate coats the sides fully). Put the plate/tray with the liners into the freezer and let the chocolate harden.
- While the chocolate is hardening make the caramel paste. Remove the dates from the water and place them into a small bowl. Add the almond butter and vanilla extract. Using a fork, mash it all together until it forms a thick paste (you can blend it, but because it’s such a small amount we find it easier to use a fork. If you are doubling or tripling the recipe a blender would be easier).
- Remove liners from the freezer and spoon about a teaspoon of the date caramel mixture into the centre. Cover the caramel with the remaining melted chocolate and freeze until firm.
Zissy is the co-founder of Nutreats. She likes to make things, do things and wear things.