A DIY Porridge mix for those cold mornings where all you want is a warm cozy bowl of goodness. It is made using steel cut oats, flaxseeds and walnuts; blended together with some cinnamon to form a fine powder/meal you can store in a jar until you’re ready to use it. Steel cut oats usually take up to 30 minutes to cook, blending them up reduces that time to a third which means less time watching your breakfast boil and more time enjoying it. To cook it all you need is a serving of your porridge mix, water, milk and a little sweetener. It will thicken as it cools down – I like adding some more milk (oat milk always) once it’s in a bowl and topping it with fresh fruit. It’s moreish, cozy and the perfect start to your morning.
DIY Porridge Mix
- 1 1/2 cup steel cut oats
- 1/2 cup flaxseeds
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
To make a single serving of hot porridge
- 1/4 cup porridge mix
- 1/2 cup milk any works, I use oat milk
- 1/3 cup boiling water
- pinch Salt
- honey / maple syrup to sweeten
- fresh fruit for topping
- Combine the oats, seeds and nuts in a blender and blend until it becomes a fine powder like consistency.
- Transfer to a glass jar and store in a cool dark place like your pantry
- To make a bowl of porridge add ¼ C porridge mix with water and milk. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes, stirring often, until it thickens up and is a soft consistency.
- Add honey to sweeten, a little more milk and top with fresh fruit
Zissy is the co-founder of Nutreats. She likes to make things, do things and wear things.