7 Ways is the latest recipe book from Jamie Oliver. It was created to give you new ideas for 18 ingredients you know and love. The 18 ingredients are those that appear most often in shopping baskets meaning they’re both accessible and (mostly) affordable. Continuing on that theme, Jamie set out to create dishes that require minimal effort for maximum results.
Each of the 18 ingredients are prepared in 7 different ways. The 18 ingredients include broccoli, cauliflower, peppers, mushrooms, chicken breasts, avocado, sausages, sweet potato, aubergine, eggs, mince, potato, prawns, white fish, steak, pork and whole chicken. The recipes are simple and easy. None of the recipes require more than 8 ingredients and he includes a note on nutrition, in theme with his goal of getting people to eat healthier and include more fruits and veggies into their meals.
It is the cookbook for the person on a budget, who doesn’t have time or doesn’t want to spend it in the kitchen whipping up complex meals; but still wants to eat meals that are healthy and tasty. They’re also ideal for beginner cooks.
The recipe I’m sharing comes from the mushroom section. It’s a baked mushroom soup which I would describe as the soup version of a grilled cheese sandwich. It requires just 7 ingredients, 1 casserole dish (that can go from the stove to the oven) and takes just under an hour from start to dish up.
Baked Mushroom Soup from Jamie Oliver’s 7 Ways
- 2 red onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/2 bunch fresh thyme
- 300 grams mushroom
- 300 grams good sourdough bread
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 70 grams gruyere cheese
- Preheat your oven to 180C
- Peel and dice the onions. Peel and finely slice the garlic, then place in a large casserole pan on a medium-low heat with 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Strip in the thyme and cook for 10 minutes, stirring regularly, while you slice the mushrooms and tear the bread into 4cm chunks.
- Stir the mushrooms into the pan, pour in the stock and bring to a boil.
- Add the bread, then grate in most of the cheese. Stir well, grate over the remainder of the cheese, and transfer to the oven for 25 minutes, or until dark golden and very thick.
- Season to perfection, then serve drizzled with extra virgin olive oil.
7 Ways was given to us by Penguin Random House and is available here. Penguin Random House nor the author approved or reviewed this piece prior to publication. Opinions are our own. The recipe is reprinted with permission, images are our own.
*This article contains affiliate links.
Zissy is the co-founder of Nutreats. She likes to make things, do things and wear things.