It’s no secret that I like my food in bowls, summer means lots of smoothie bowls and salad bowls, but winter needs something warm and cozy. These nourishing roasted vegetable bowls are a healthy take on winter comfort food. Roasted Vegetables are combined with wholewheat couscous and topped with a fried egg and avocado. A garlic herb dressing adds more flavour and richness to the dish.
The best thing about this nourishing roasted vegetable bowl is that you can use whatever you have on hand at home. Replace the butternut with sweet potato or Brussel sprouts for marrows. You can use any grain you want or leave it out altogether. The dish is also a great option if you like prepping meals in the beginning of the week. Simply prepare the roasted vegetables, grain and dressing and store separately in the fridge. When you’re ready to eat, fry your egg and add a fresh avocado for a wholesome meal.
Nourishing Roasted Vegetable Bowls with Couscous and Eggs
- 3 cups butternut squash peeled chopped into cubes (1 medium butternut)
- 300g brussel sprouts washed and halved
- 250g white mushrooms washed and halved
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup couscous uncooked
- 2 avocado peeled, pitted and sliced
- 4 eggs fried
Garlic Herb Dressing
- 1 cup fresh parsley washed and chopped
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
You will also need
- 1 baking tray
- high speed blender
- Preheat your oven 200°C.
- Spread out chopped butternut, brussel sprouts and mushrooms on a baking tray. Drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper and roast for 30 minutes, until the vegetables are slightly browned and tender. For more even cooking, turn the vegetables halfway through.
- While the vegetables are cooking, prepare your grain according to the package instructions. I used whole wheat couscous, but millet and quinoa would also work well.
- To make the garlic herb dressing, blend all the ingredients in a high speed blender until fully combined.
- To assemble, divide couscous and roasted vegetables among 4 bowls. Top with a fried egg, sliced avos and a generous drizzle of garlic herb dressing.
Zissy is the co-founder of Nutreats. She likes to make things, do things and wear things.