Each one of these Peanut Butter Protein Bars contains 10g of protein. You can use whatever protein powder you prefer, as long as it’s vanilla or neutral tasting. You can even use hemp seeds, but don’t use hemp powder – it’s stronger tasting and would over power the bar. The protein powder, chocolate and milk used in the recipe will determine both nutritional and dietary information. You can opt for a dairy bar or a vegan bar by using vegan alternatives for those three ingredients.
Peanut Butter Protein Bars
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup protein powder vanilla or neutral flavour
- 1/2 cup puffed brown rice
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1 cup pitted dates
- 1 tbsp milk
- 3 tbsp dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 tbsp coconut oil
You will also need
- food processor or blender
- 20 x 20 cm square / 25 x 15cm rectangular baking pan
- baking paper
- Line baking pan with parchment paper
- Combine oat flour, protein powder, rice crisps and salt in a medium bowl
- Soak dates in water to soften, 5-10 minutes. Once softened drain and blend with 1 Tablespoon of milk in a high speed blender until you get a thick date paste (1 Cup of dates will give you about ½ Cup date paste).
- Add peanut butter and vanilla to date paste and blend till smooth.
- Add dry ingredients to blender and pulse a few times till well combined.
- If the mixture is too dry add a few tablespoons of milk (one at a time) to the mixture until it holds together.
- Press mixture into a pan with either a pastry roller; or if you don’t have one a smooth glass works just as well. The trick to ensuring these bars wont crumble is making sure you press the mixture down firmly.
- Place pan in the freezer for 15-20 minutes.
- In the meantime, melt the chocolate chips and coconut oil together.
- Once the bars are semi frozen, remove the pan from the freezer and cut into bars and drizzle with the chocolate mixture.
- Place bars back into freezer to set.
- Store bars in the freezer for up to a month and enjoy when the need arises.
Zissy is the co-founder of Nutreats. She likes to make things, do things and wear things.