How to make the most out of black friday 2017
Last October retail sales in South Africa contracted 0.2%. November rolled around and retail sales generated R85bn representing 3.1% growth. Economists contributed this comeback to Black Friday.
To me, it seemed like it was the first year that South Africa adopted Black Friday on such a large scale but South African retailers have been taking advantage of this American tradition for years. In 2011 Takealot generated R1 million in sales from its first Black Friday Sale – last year sales were up to R56 million. This year they’re expecting a 50% increase.
If you’re planning on contributing to South Africa’s sales growth on November 24 but want to capitalise on the really good deals, here’s my guide for preparing for Black Friday:
1. Read our A-Z of South African Black Friday 2017 sales
Find it here. They’re listed in Retailer alphabetical order, there are details on what the deals are, what dates they run from and till and direct links. It’s also updated as more sales are publicized.
2. Do pre Black Friday Price research
Know the difference between a real black Friday deal and retailers who offer the exact same deals as the rest of the year but slap a Black Friday Sign in front of it.
3. Prepare for Long Queues and Craziness at Major retailers
Unless you entered Checkers’ competition to win a R5000 voucher, beat the queues and shop from home or have applied for leave to dedicate your whole day to shopping, stay away from stores that are guaranteed to be a whole day trampling event. These are generally Checkers, Pick n Pay, Makro and Game who host insane deals that go fast. If you must go, wear a sturdy shoe.
4. Make Lists and wishlists on your favourite online stores (Like superbalist)
If you know what you want already and have it saved in an easy to ‘add to cart’ order – you won’t spend your whole day and weekend scrolling the internet mindlessly and buying things you don’t need.
5. Get a head start on Your December/ Christmas Gift List
If you already know what you want to buy your loved ones, chances are there’ll be a deal. Good things come to those who plan and good things are less money spent on gifts, more money to pay your bills.
Subscribe here to get all our latest articles delivered to you
Main Image: Nutreats
Latest posts by Feige Lewin (see all)
- [GIVEAWAY] Everything you Need to smash your 2018 Goals - January 16, 2018
- It’s a Blank Space this month on Nutreats - January 1, 2018
- How pHformula Skin Resurfacing and Skinsense PDT Therapy changed my face - December 8, 2017