I just discovered how cashews are grown (#8) and that what we consider a nut is actually the seed of the cashew fruit.
Like other nuts, processing cashews results in a creamy texture. Cashews are often used to mimic the creaminess and smoothness of a cheese in vegan recipes.
These raw berry lime cream bars get their creaminess from cashews and are sweetened with a touch of maple syrup. The bars are made of 3 layers – nutty base, a creamy middle and a blueberry topping.
They take a bit of time to make, as you need to wait for each layer to set before adding the next one; but are incredibly easy to make and the results are stunning.
You can eat them frozen or let them defrost just a little bit for a creamy cheesecake like dessert.
Raw Blueberry Lime Cream Slices
These vegan and raw berry lime cream bars make the perfect dessert or sweat treat. Cashews give them that creamy cheesecake like texture, and blueberries a delightful sweetness.
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 3/4 cup soft dates pitted (80g)
- 1/2 cup Almonds
- 2 cups cashews
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp lime juice (juice from 2 limes)
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries (plus extra for sprinkling)
You will also need
- food processor or blender
- baking tin (25 x 11 cm/)
- baking paper
- Place cashews in a bowl of water and cover. Leave to soak for 3-5 hours. Drain and rinse when ready to use.
- Line a baking tin with baking paper.
- To make the base, place oats in a blender and blend until it becomes a coarse flour. Add dates and almonds and pulse until it forms a stiff dough.
- Press the dough firmly into your loaf tin using a spatula. The base should be very compact. Freeze while you make the filling.
- To make the lime filling, blend cashews, maple syrup and lime in a food processor until completely smooth. Spread two thirds of the filling over the base and smooth it over with a spatula. Freeze for 1 hour to allow it to firm up.
- Add blueberries to the remaining filling and process until smooth. Remove the baking tin from the freezer and add the blueberry layer. Smooth it out with a spatula. Freeze until completely frozen (3-4 hours).
- Once set, remove the baking tin with your compiled layers from the freezer. Take the fully formed Berry Lime Cream Slice out of the tin and cut it into 10 slices.
- Store them in the freezer. Remove from the freezer 5 minutes before serving to allow them to soften.
Zissy is the co-founder of Nutreats. She likes to make things, do things and wear things.