Move over peanut butter, tahini rice crispy cups are here
Vegetarian (Vegan Option) | Dairy Free | Nut Free | Gluten Free
These 3-layer tahini rice crispy cups are the perfect little sweet treat. I used tahini instead of peanut butter which gives it a milder taste that veers towards the halva direction. The caramel layer is made from dates, rice milk, tahini and a good dash of fleur de sel. And they’re topped with a dark chocolate layer. Make sure each layer sets before adding the next, this is to make sure they don’t seep into each other and you get 3 distinct layers.
I made them in a mini silicone muffin tray which is ideal as the silicon allows you to pop them out easily. If you don’t have one, use mini muffin liners or you can press them into a square pan and make them like a traditional rice crispy treat. It makes about 14 little cups depending on how much of the batter you transfer to the moulds instead of directly into your mouth.
A note on two ingredients I used:
1. Honey – for a vegan friendly option use rice syrup not maple syrup. Rice syrup is thicker and stickier which will allow the puffed rice to hold.
2. Fleur de sel – this is a dessert salt used for finishing and gives things that sweet salty flavour. It’s amazing sprinkled on chocolate (or added to melted chocolate), in caramel or sprinkled on top of cookies. It’s helps cut the sweetness. For this recipe you can use regular salt, but I’d recommend buying a box of fleur de sel if you like making sweet things. It makes a big difference and a box lasts a while as you don’t use a lot at a time. You’ll find it by the salt in most grocery stores.
Photography by Feige Lewin
Want more? Sign up here for our weekly newsletter
Latest posts by Feige Lewin (see all)
- How TaxTim helped me file my tax return - September 7, 2018
- How Model and Actress Micharn Pollock Keeps Healthy - August 29, 2018
- 3 Layer Tahini Rice Crispy Cups - August 20, 2018