This roasted red pepper and harissa pasta started out as a roasted red pepper harissa dip. There was leftovers and I added it to pasta. It turned out to be a better pasta sauce than dip and is now on regular rotation.
It requires just 5 ingredients and is easy and quick to make. For the harissa you can either use a dry spice mix like this or a wet paste like this. The quantity will remain the same. It adds a delicious spicy taste to the roasted red pepper.
When first blended, the feta will remain a little crumbly and visible, it melts completely once you heat the sauce for a delicious creamy pasta sauce.
Roasted Red Pepper and Harissa Pasta
- 3 large red pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon harissa paste / spice blend
- 1 cup Feta Cheese crumbled
- Salt to taste
- 4 servings pasta cooked
- Roast the red peppers. I roast them on a tray in the oven at 250C and on the grill setting. It takes 20-25 minutes and I’ll turn the peppers around every 5-10 minutes so that they roast the whole way round. You can also roast them over a gas stove flame. Once they’re completely black and blistered all over, remove from the oven and allow to cool. Once cool, peel the skin off – it should come off easily just using your hands. Remove the seeds and chop it into chunks.
- Add the roasted peppers to a blender along with olive oil, red wine vinegar, harissa and feta cheese. Blend until it’s a smooth sauce and add salt to taste.
- If you haven’t done so yet, cook 4 portions of pasta.
- When the pasta is almost done add the sauce to a large frying pan and heat it. Add in ¼ cup of pasta water and mix. Add in the cooked pasta, mix it so the sauce fully coats the pasta and cook for another few minutes until the sauce has thickened.
- Serve immediately.
Zissy is the co-founder of Nutreats. She likes to make things, do things and wear things.