There’s a reason the word mega is in the title of this recipe. It’s huge. Feed an army huge. But it’s also darn good, like people who don’t like kale or quinoa will eat it and like it.
It combines roasted sweet potato, carrots and beetroot with kale, quinoa and a creamy tahini dressing. You can easily halve the recipe, serve it as a stand-alone meal or store it in the fridge for a healthy meal, it keeps well for up to 3 days dressed. Yes, even the kale, which won’t go soggy.
I roasted the beetroot separately (in tin foil) as I find it’s easier to peel once roasted and it doesn’t stain your hands as much roasted as it does when raw. You can also chop and roast along with the other veggies, but it may stain them.
Mega Roasted Vegetable and Quinoa Salad
- 2 large Beets
- 5 carrots peeled and sliced into long strips
- 1 orange sweet potatoe peeled and cut into cubes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small bunch Kale
- 1 C cooked quinoa
- salt and pepper
- 4 tbsp tahini paste
- 1 lemon juiced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- water to thin, as needed
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 200
- Wash the beets and trim the tops. Wrap in tinfoil and roast in the oven for 30-40 minutes until the beet is fully cooked through. As soon as you can easily get a knife through it, it’s done. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely. Once cooled, peel the beetroot and cut into slices. Once roasted, you can easily peel the beetroot with a knife by pulling the skin away from the beet.
- While the beets are roasting, prepare the carrots and sweet potato. Arrange peeled and cut slices on a large baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and mix to coat. Sprinkle some salt and pepper. Roast for 30-40 minutes until the vegetables are cooked and starting to brown at the edges.
- While the vegetables are roasting you can cook the quinoa if you haven’t done so and make the dressing.
- To make the dressing, combine all the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Add water to thin out as you need. Set aside.
- Wash and shred the kale. I like to remove the stem and shred it into thin slices. Once shredded, add to a large bowl and add in half the dressing, massage into the kale to coat and let it sit for 5 minutes to marinade.
- Add quinoa and roasted vegetables to the kale, toss and add the remaining dressing.
- Serve immediately, or store in an airtight container for up to 3 days in the fridge.
Zissy is the co-founder of Nutreats. She likes to make things, do things and wear things.