This Smoky Paprika, Tomato and Chickpea Soup is made from pantry staples like canned tomatoes and canned chickpeas. It’s an inexpensive meal that is nutritious and filling thanks to the protein packed chickpeas. Top it with a soft boiled egg for added protein. It’s a no fuss recipe, that can be on the table in 30 minutes.
Smoky Paprika, Tomato and Chickpea Soup
An inexpensive meal, this soup is made from things you most likely have in your pantry. Canned tomatoes, chickpeas, onion, celery and some spices come together to create a chunky soup. Top it off with a soft boiled egg for added protein.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion finely chopped
- 3 garlic minced
- 2 celery stalks chopped
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 can chickpeas rinsed and drained
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 cups water
- Salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 2 soft-boiled eggs (optional)
You will also need
- food processor
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot and sauté the onion, garlic, celery, and thyme until softened.
- Add the chickpeas, canned tomatoes, smoked paprika and tomato paste. Bring to a simmer.
- Add the water, season with salt and pepper, and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- For a chunky soup, process about two thirds of the mixture with an immersion blender, combining it back with the rest of the soup. Season to taste.
- Divide between 4 bowls, topping with half a boiled egg if desired.
Zissy is the co-founder of Nutreats. She likes to make things, do things and wear things.