Carrot soup is one of our favourite soups and we often change it up by adding alternate ingredients and changing the spices. This version includes red lentils, which add a nice texture and protein, as well as strong spices to make it a light but flavourful and satisfying dinner.
Spicy Carrot Lentil Soup
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 600g carrots peeled and chopped (about 4 cups chopped)
- 8 C water
- 1 C red lentils
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- Heat olive oil in a large pot. Add onion and garlic and sauté over a low heat for about 5 minutes until onions are soft and fragrant.
- Add carrots and spices and sauté for another 5 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Pour in water and lentils and cook on a medium heat for 30-40 minutes until the carrots are soft and the lentils fully cooked.
- Allow to cool.
- Blend soup until smooth using a blender.
- Add more seasoning if desired. Serve hot.
Zissy is the co-founder of Nutreats. She likes to make things, do things and wear things.