This smoky trout bowl is packed with flavours and textures and comes together quick. The trout is cooked with a smoky spice rub and then served in a bowl with quinoa, crunchy edamame beans, creamy avo and vinegary pickles. It’s finished off with a zingy gremolata sauce that adds a burst of freshness.
You can use salmon instead of trout and the gremolata is something you can double up and save the rest for later (it’ll last up to 5 days in the fridge).
A Spring-Green Smoky Trout Bowl
For the Smoky Spiced Trout
- 1 fillet fresh trout skin on
- olive oil
- ½ teaspoon smoky paprika
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
For the Bowl
- ½ cup cooked quinoa
- ½ cup edamame beans
- ½ avocado sliced
- pickles chopped up
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon capers rinsed, drained and chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 200ºc.
- Combine the smoky paprika, salt, black pepper, cumin and dried thyme in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Place the trout skin side down on a baking pan. Drizzle it with olive oil. Sprinkle the spice mix over and rub it in. Bake for 15-18 minutes or until the fish easily flakes and is light pink in the centre. Remove and set aside.
- While the trout is cooking, make the gremolata. Add all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well to combine. Set aside.
- When the trout is cooked, use a fork to break it into pieces.
- Add quinoa to a bowl along with the trout pieces, edamame beans, avo and pickles. Pour the gremolata sauce over and enjoy!
Zissy is the co-founder of Nutreats. She likes to make things, do things and wear things.