You either love chia puddings or hate them. And if you hate them, it’s most likely due to one of two reasons. The little seeds which have a gel like feeling and get stuck in your teeth. Or the taste, which if made without any ingredients to flavour it, tastes like nothing. I’m in the middle, I neither love nor hate them. This strawberry and cream chia breakfast bowl, however, I love. I knew it was good when two chia pudding haters told it me it was good and the best chia pudding they’ve had and expect to have.
It tastes like a mouthful of strawberries and cream, and feels like a thick pudding, not little gel balls. There are just 5 ingredients that go into it and strawberries and coconut milk give it that delicious taste. In terms of texture, I blend it up before it sets, which breaks down the seeds. This means that they still work to turn the liquid into a thick gel but are blended smooth instead of left as bits. It feels better, but also means you won’t get up from your breakfast with little black seeds dotting your teeth.
Have I convinced you to whip it up yet?
Strawberry and Cream Chia Pudding Breakfast Bowl
- 1 C strawberries chopped
- 1 C coconut milk
- 3 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp honey / maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp vanillla extract optional
- Toppings fresh fruit, coconut chips, nuts, nut butter
- Add the strawberries, coconut milk, chia seeds, maple syrup and vanilla to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Remove from blender and pour into a bowl / jar.
- Refrigerate for minimum 1 hour or overnight to thicken.
- Once thickened into a pudding like consistency, divide between 2 bowls, add desired toppings and enjoy.
Zissy is the co-founder of Nutreats. She likes to make things, do things and wear things.