Since my wife and I moved to Netherlands we had trust issues with the meat here for some reason. Not that it is bad, we just don’t trust it. We changed our weekly meal plans to have more plant based dishes. Since we switched to a “cleaner eating” lifestyle, everything seems to be better. We both have more energy and enjoy eating as much as we like without feeling bad about it. I recently tried making a black bean recipe. We enjoyed it so much that it turned into weekly meal.
I’ve been experimenting with vegetarian burgers and these vegetarian black bean burgers are one of my favourites. Mixing up the ingredients is always fun and you can add all sorts of different options to keep it interesting. For this version I added green peppers and onions into the bean mixture. The preparation takes some time, but that’s because I used a fork to mash the beans. If you have a blender, a couple of pulses with have it mixed in no time.
Vegatarian Black Bean Burgers
- 400g cooked black beans
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 green pepper finely chopped
- 75g bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- oil for frying
- Avocado, tomato, cucumber, baby spinach and cheese for topping (optional)
- Buns /Rolls
- Mash the beans with a fork (if you have a blender, you can pulse them a few times until mashed)
- Add the egg, salt, pepper and cumin to the beans and mix well.
- Add the breadcrumbs to the bean mixture until the mixture is nice and stiff. If the mixture is still soft, add more breadcrumbs until the mixture is stiff enough to hold a shape.
- Using about ¼ cup of the bean mixture, shape them into balls and then flatten them to resemble patties.
- Heat a frying pan over a medium heat and add some oil. Add your patties to the pan (do not over crowd the pan) and fry them for about 5-10 minutes and then flip over and fry the other side for another 5-10 minutes. They are ready when they get a golden colour and look cooked.
- Serve with buns and any toppings you want
Stephan ‘Stevie’ Griesel is an IT Security Engineer/Security Consultant/Geek who relocated to the Netherlands recently. He spends way too much time in front of his computer(s), but likes to stay active. He runs a lot (very fast), does Functional Training & Bootcamp. He is a self-confessed Healthy pro, “I like eating plants (haha)” but he’s also all about Coffee coffee coffee. Follow his adventures on www.wijrun.com