I’m usually a make from scratch type of person, but falafels made properly require planning and time. Not so with the new Just Wholefoods falafel mix. When I got a box I was curious if a box mix could really taste as good as a homemade batch of falafels. Would it, like the box claims, have those authentic falafel flavors – delicately spiced with cumin and coriander?
Just Wholefoods is the latest range of healthier products brought in by Nature’s Delicacies. In the range is a falafel box mix, burger box mix, sausage box mix and vanilla custard powder. The entire range is fully vegan, plant-based and the box mixes are organic as well.
One look at the ingredients of the falafel mix and I was impressed, it read like the ingredients I would use to make falafel – kibbled chickpeas, brown rice flour, ground cumin, ground coriander, ground black pepper, parsley, salt and garlic powder. Making it requires just one bowl, a waiting time of 10 minutes and then a quick 4-5 minute fry to achieve that crispy golden falafel perfection.
You can immediately smell the spices when you take the mix out of the bag! The taste was spot on, the texture crispy on the outside and soft on the inside and best of all, this little salad came together in under 30 minutes.
If you love falafel, the Just Wholefoods falafel mix is one to get! It’s available here or in most Dischem stores.
Quick & Easy Falafel Salad
- 1 box Just Wholefoods Falafel Mix
- 125 ml boiling water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ lemon juiced
- oil for frying
- ½ cucumber diced
- 1 tomato diced
- 1 carrot peeled and diced
- 1 yellow pepper diced
- 2 pickles diced
- ¼ cup fresh parsley chopped
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1-2 tablespoon water
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- salt to taste
- Add the falafel mix to a bowl along with boiling water, oil and lemon juice. Stir well and leave to rest uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Shape into 8-10 round balls. I used a tbsp sized scoop, but if you don’t have one just use a tablespoon and wet your hands when shaping into a ball, so the mixture doesn’t stick to your hands.
- Heat a little oil in a non-stick frying pan and fry the falafels for 4-5 minutes until golden brown – turn them around after a few minutes to ensure you get an even crisp all round.
- While you wait for the falafel mix to set, make your salad by combining all the ingredients in a small bowl. Drizzle a little olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Mix well and set aside
- You can also make the tahini sauce while the falafels set. Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and whisk until smooth. Start with 1 tablespoon of water, adding more water if you want the sauce to be thinner.
- Divide the salad between two bowls, top with Falafel balls and tahini sauce on the side.
Zissy is the co-founder of Nutreats. She likes to make things, do things and wear things.