Chewy, soft, nutty and studded with dark chocolate, these almond butter cookies are the perfect balance of flavour and texture. The almond butter, almond flour and almond milk gives them a distinct almond flavour and nuttiness, not unlike spooning a spoon of almond butter straight into your mouth. That is to say they’re a cookie for nut lovers, so if you don’t like almonds, click away, this cookie is not for you. If you prefer peanut butter, these cookies are what you’re looking for.
They are simple to make and are gluten free, vegan and refined sugar free. As they’re egg free it’s perfectly ok to eat the cookie dough raw (which may be where at least one cookie disappeared before hitting the oven). If you don’t have maple syrup, honey will work just as well. They do get softer the longer you leave them, so for a crispier cookie, eat them the same day you make them, but they will keep for 3 days in an airtight container at room temperature.
Chewy Chocolate Chip Almond Butter Cookies
- ½ cup almond butter
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoon almond milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 cup almond flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup dark chocolate chunks
- fleur de sel for sprinkling (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Add the almond butter, maple syrup, almond milk and vanilla to a large mixing bowl and mix well.
- Add the almond flour, baking powder and salt to the wet ingredients and mix well. Add in the chocolate chunks and stir to combine.
- Using a tablespoon sized cookie scoop, scoop out batter into balls and place on the baking sheet. Leave space between cookies as they will spread when baked.
- Sprinkle the tops of the cookies with fleur de sel. If you want to have chocolate chunks visible on the tops of the cookies, press some into the raw cookies once they’re on the baking tray.
- Bake for 11 minutes. Allow to rest on the baking tray for 10 minutes before removing and placing on a cooling rack to cool completely.
Zissy is the co-founder of Nutreats. She likes to make things, do things and wear things.